NORRISTOWN, PA – The Montgomery County Commissioners, on the advice of the Montgomery County Department of Public Safety, have declared a Code Blue Cold Weather Emergency for Montgomery County based on a review of forecasts from the National Weather Service.
The Code Blue has been issued for Montgomery County for the period beginning Friday, December 23, 2022, at 11 a.m. and ending on Tuesday, December 27, 2022, at 10 a.m. During this time, either the temperature or the wind chill is expected to be below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
A Code Blue is declared in Montgomery County when winter conditions pose a threat of serious harm or death to individuals without shelter.
Residents of Montgomery County who need emergency shelter during a Code Blue can call the Your Way Home Call Center at 2-1-1 or text their zip code to 898-211.
WHAT TO DO IN CODE BLUE CONDITIONS
- Check on elderly friends and neighbors frequently to ensure that their homes are adequately heated.
- If you see someone in need of immediate emergency assistance, call or text 9-1-1.
- If you or someone you know needs help with temporary shelter from the cold weather or a longer-term housing issue, call Your Way Home at 2-1-1 or text 898-211.
- Make sure your car is winterized with antifreeze, a full tank of gas, properly inflated tires, and is stocked with an emergency kit.
- Check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Wear appropriate clothing and avoid prolonged exposure when going outdoors in winter weather.
- Limit pets' time outdoors during extreme temperatures.
- Report power outages directly to your utility company; DO NOT call 9-1-1.
For general cold weather information, please visit www.montcopa.org/codeblue.
Media Contact: Kelly Cofrancisco, firstname.lastname@example.org